Dry brushing is a quick, easy activity that you can incorporate in your self-care routine. There are a number of benefits of dry brushing, over and above maintaining a healthy lymphatic function. Just a few minutes each day is all it takes to get things moving!
As you stimulate your body’s internal clean up system, your skin receives the benefits of a gentle daily massage. This stimulation helps to improve your skin tone. It can also help to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
To maximise the benefits of dry brushing, be sure to use a natural bristle brush and with long strokes, brush from feet to head, directing strokes towards the heart. This helps in two ways, by stretching and moving the skin you encourage the surface lymphatic vessels to open and start taking in fluid. As more fluid moves into these superficial vessels, pressure of increased fluid encourages the lymph to move further into the lymphatic system. Brushing the skin also stimulates surface blood flow. The action of surface blood vessels pumping influences the lymphatic vessels.
The benefits of dry brusing for your lymph system include:
- Remove toxins, waste products, bacteria and viruses that may be accumulating in your tissues
- Improve immune response by clearing this debris away
- Restore fluid balance to your tissues
- Replenish and nourish cells with new nutrient-laden fluid
As well as stimulating lymph flow and encouraging its return towards the heart, dry brushing can:
- Improve the appearance of your skin by sloughing of dead skin cells and promoting cell renewal
- Unclog pores and stimulate blood and lymph circulation
- Reduce the appearance of cellulite
- Stimulate nerve endings which can improve muscle tone
Dry brushing is a wonderful addition to your daily self-care routine. The physical benefits outlined above certainly enhance your physical wellbeing. But taking this time to nurture your body, is a declaration of self-love. Truly honour your essential self with this daily ritual.